Innovate with the latest technologies. Help create amazing software.
We've got opportunities for you to work on interesting projects, innovate with the latest technologies and produce solutions that delight our clients. Do you have experience in developing Java applications and services? Do you care about writing clean, maintainable and testable code? If so, we've got a great role for you to stretch your wings and see what you're really capable of.
Who we are
xDesign is an award-winning UK digital transformation and software agency with offices in the centres of Edinburgh and Leeds. We pride ourselves on working closely and collaboratively with our clients to craft intuitive user experiences and valuable products across a wide range of industries, technologies, and clients. Our reputation as a partner determined to deliver high-quality, robust and thoughtful products has enabled us to scale to over 200 people in the last couple of years, and we are experiencing rapid growth.
We are focused on hiring great people who challenge the norm, bring new ideas, perspectives and expertise, so you’ll be working with a team that collaborates and cares. We support each other with problems, push each other to get better and celebrate success together.
We are a company that cares about building an inclusive, collaborative place of work where you can stretch yourself, personally and professionally. We value a diverse team and believe the variety of experiences and backgrounds in our team makes us stronger.
We are a people-first business. We care about hiring great people who want to make meaningful contributions.
It’s important to us that we support and help each other, pushing colleagues to work hard and improve. We value everyone’s unique input and skills: developers, testers, product owners, project managers and designers all collaborate as equals on every project. That collaboration and teamwork is what helps us deliver innovative, exciting products for our clients.
To ensure everyone gets the help and encouragement they need, we’ve developed a structured progression framework to support development plans and career growth for each person within Engineering. You'll get close support from your line manager with your day-to-day work, and you’ll have the support and resources you need to evaluate your career growth and professional development.
We develop web and mobile applications in a variety of different languages and frameworks, with AWS as our primary cloud platform. Our CI/CD infrastructure varies with what makes sense — we have to balance customer requirements with making sure we have the right tools for the job and you will be an integral part of influencing these choices of technology.
What you’ll be doing
- Developing enterprise-scale back-end services with a focus on readable, maintainable and tested code using Java
- Working as part of a cross-functional agile team and contributing your expertise to drive the overall success of a project for our clients.
- Using agreed standards and specifications to design, create, test and document new or amended software
- Demonstrating understanding of common Software Engineering concepts
- Creating robust code which is scalable with a long term impact and broader concerns underpinning decisions
- Implementing engineering best practices across backend services
- 1-2+ years’ experience in back-end development with modern Java
- Enthusiastic and experienced in using engineering best practices and delivering efficient, unit tested and well-structured code
- Experience working as part of a cross-functional development team
- A great team player with strong communication skills
- Passion and enthusiasm for delivering great digital products
Nice to have, but not essential to apply:
- Familiarity with any of the following: Azure/AWS, Python, Hibernate and Spring
- Experience creating applications optimised for performance and scalability
- Experience working in an Agile delivery team
- Variety - the chance to work with a wide range of clients from start-ups to big name brands
- Opportunity to work on our internal Incubator and Tech Accelerator projects
- A friendly, supportive and collaborative culture
- A well-defined pathway for your career development
- Unlimited access to our e-learning suite
- Fully remote working open to all as well as office and hybrid working options
- Personal development and progression plans including 6 personal L&D days
- 32 days holiday a year (inc Bank Holidays, which incidentally you’re free to take whenever you want)
- Private medical Insurance (and wellbeing incentives, deals and discounts) with Vitality
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave policies
- Access to a financial wellbeing platform (via Bippit)
- A Macbook Pro and other top tech to help you
- Regular social events (in person and virtually)
- A competitive salary which we’ll discuss with you at the start of the hiring process
- YuLife employee benefits
- Cycle to work scheme
- And lots more!